Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Copyright on House Socks

I hate Copyrightphobia, the fear of infringing upon somebody's copyright.  I am upset by the Copyright Police.  It makes me nervous when I enter a pattern in Ravelry that is a pattern derived from somebody else's pattern.  For example, the Philosopher's House Socks, from Cat Bordhi's "New Pathways for Socks Knitters, Book One", inspired me to knit these:


The color is most accurate in the second close up photo.

I didn't use the yarn weight specified, so none of the stitch counts in the pattern were used.  I didn't use the specified arch expansion stitch pattern, but made up one similar.  I did use the Upstream Sock Architecture and Master Numbers from the back of the book.  I would say this is a derivative work.

So, please tell me.  Whose pattern is this?  When I create the project in Ravelry, what should I use for a pattern name?  Could I donate these socks to a fund raiser without having to ask permission?  According to Jennifer Tocker's Copyright FAQ, this is a derivative work and I would hold the copyright on the derivative pattern, but Cat Bordhi would hold the copyright on the original design.  But if I wanted to sell the pattern (I don't), would I give Cat Bordhi a portion of the proceeds?

I just want to have fun.  Heck, I don't even want to go so far as reading Jennifer Tocker's Copyright FAQs, although I have browsed this very useful and informative web page.



No comments:

Post a Comment