Thursday, April 10, 2008

April Garden Tour

My April Garden tour happened this morning.  You can click on any of the pictures to see a bigger image.

In the front yard....

 

The Tree Peony is in full bloom.  This is my favorite showy plant in the yard.  Last year a volunteer peony popped out.  It must have arrived in the pot.  It's back again this year and appears to be pink (bud in last picture).

The poppies and gerbera daisies (1st and 2nd above) are a disappointment this year.  They are tiny and unhealthy looking.  I blame it on the MowNBlow team because they put weed killer out and I think it's bad for these little flowers.  The Iris (3rd above) made several blooms this year, and the geraniums (4th above) are happy, happy.  That's it for the front yard.

In the back yard....

The wisteria is in mid-bloom and smelling oh-so-sweet.  From inside the house the blossoms smell more like dirty feet... at least I think that's what that smell has been....  The wind chimes are new from a recent trip - my very first in my entire life wind chimes - and they are lovely to hear.  And it's been breezy.  Yesterday I blew and swept the patio.  Today that lovely, melodic breeze has dumped even more wisteria petals.  I thought you were only supposed to have to sweep the patio every day in the Fall!

The orchid that came home last winter made it through the cold weather.  I strung a bunch of christmas lights around it and every night that Kris the weatherman said it was going to be in the low 30Fs I turned them on.  It worked :-)  Romaine lettuce and chives, etc., are happy in the herb garden.  The rhododendron isn't going to bloom this year.  I think I should have fed it last year, and kept it wetter during this dry winter we had.

The tulips are just about done.  The dogwood is blooming.  The clematis is gorgeous - stuck off by itself in the shade of the dogwood, it happily blooms away, almost unnoticed. 

It's a small yard, but this is the time of year when it's the most showy.

Happy almost-US-tax day everybody!



No comments:

Post a Comment