Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pi Shawl Progress

20080319 Pi Shawl with Abacus  20080319 Pi Shawl First Chart

It looks more like a tam than a shawl (picture right), so I'm hoping it will block out.  Fingering weight yarn.  US 6 needles.  I'll have to knit a lot to make it big enough, but that's the point, right?  You get lots of knitting for your dollar.  (Dollars are the thing in short supply, not the time to knit.)

The picture on the left shows a tail in the SW quadrant of the picture.  That's a Hide & Sheep knitter's bracelet/abacus.  That's how I know I'm on row 13 of the second chart for the shawl.  It's supposed to be a bracelet, but I much prefer it as a round marker slash abacus.

About the shawl.  It's Elizabeth Zimmermann's Pi Shawl.  The pattern can be found in her Knitter's Almanac, July, page 71 in my edition.  The charts for this pattern can be found in XRX's Shawls and Scarves, page 52 in my edition.  Be careful, though.  The written words for the chart don't exactly match EZ's pattern or the chart; for example, row 11 of chart B words and chart do not match.  (Errata, a pdf, for XRX book does show correction for row 11.)

Oh, did I forget to say it's really easy?



No comments:

Post a Comment