Sunday, January 27, 2008

Kite Runner & Atonement

Kite Runner: *** Good
Atonement: *** Good

These two were good movies, worth seeing on the big screen.  I probably should have given them both better ratings, but I'm tired of complicated movies.  I want a straightforward love story, or a straightforward hero-vs-bad guy.  I want the lovers to get together and I want the hero to win.  Well there. I got that off my chest.  [A sunny day wouldn't hurt either.  I packed my camera and drove to the park for a walk, but it was raining by the time we got there.  Hmph.]

KiteRunnerPosterThe Kite Runner was true to the book.  I thought the book told the story better, but I always think that.  It did show how cruel young boys can be, especially to those they love.  It showed how some young men are evil and they grow into evil men.  It showed how a grown man still suffers from childhood guilt and pain, and what such a man will do to make amends.

The acting is fine.  The photography is very good.  The settings in Afghanistan and the SF Bay Area (Fremont!) are well done.


 AtonementPosterAtonement is a big star, big budget movie based on the book by Ian McEwan.  I haven't read the book so I have no idea how the movie compares to the book.

Basically, it's the story of three people:  Briony , a 13 year old  girl with a crush on Robbie, a grown young man, and Cecilia, Briony's sister.  Robbie & Cecilia love each other.  It's a lopsided triangle which shows how a 13 year old girl can get everything wrong and suffer the guilt of it for the rest of her very long life. 

It takes place in England and France just before and during WWII.  The acting and photography are good.  I was bothered by all the time jumping and close-up scenes, but the end of the movie makes it all make sense.  In fact I didn't like the movie as much in the middle as I did in the end.

I hope these mediocre reviews don't keep anybody from seeing these two movies.  I give them both "Good to See".



No comments:

Post a Comment