Saturday, December 29, 2007

Knit discussion groups

The first time I subscribed to a knit list was in the 1990s, the "original" KnitList when it was still on IForgetWhat dot edu.  Since then the explosion of discussion groups is truly impressive and full of learning opportunities, friendships made, feelings hurt, and snore-inducing detritus.

Now there is Ravelry, which is shaping up to be the most innovative social knitting web site ever.  They, Casey and Jessica, deserve the Newcomers award this year.

Since this is the time of year for reflection, I think now would be a good time to recognize Joan Schroeder, who has been a member of knit discussion groups for a long time.  She has been giving, giving, giving, generously for years.  She is a tireless teacher.  She is never rude and always offers technical help.  I can't think of anybody else who has as generous a head and heart as Joan.  And... she has one of the corniest senses of humor around :-)

And, lest I sound too syrupy, this is my top 10 pet peeves about knitting lists, a list of knit discussions I never want to read again....

  1. Knit for significant other curse.
  2. I'm sick.... Thanks, I'm better.
  3. My family member is sick.  Here's the hourly update.
  4. I cross posted to 4 lists telling why I'm depressed.
  5. Me too, I hate/love whatever - short, useless msg.
  6. Coy flirting for the entire group to read ...
  7. My knitting wasn't appreciated by the recipient.
  8. Somebody told me not to knit in church, a class, a meeting, etc.
  9. I knit in the Dr's office.  Let me tell you all the gory details.
  10. I don't have anything to say about knitting, but....
  11. Asking an interesting question and not summarizing the answers.


1 comment: