Wednesday, November 7, 2007

What, me SAD?

When I first heard about SAD, I thought it was a trendy excuse to whine (whinge, for you English folks).  Then I retired and moved a little more North where there is a little less light each day during Fall and Winter.  I've been a little more depressed during the low-light days for each of the last few years, and the Holidays have been particularly difficult.  God, how boring!

This Fall it started again, and I thought about it ...  In my previous working life I commuted 1 hour each way - 2 hours each day outside looking at scenery as I commuted over country hills to work in the software factory.  I wasn't particularly bothered by seasonal blahs.

 What if one spent an hour outside several days a week working  in the garden?  (I call it "playing in the garden".)  This time of year the camellias are very nice to watch, and there are leaves, lots of leaves, to rake.

I mentioned a book a few days ago, "Three Signs of a Miserable Job".  One of the recommendations for a good manager was to take a genuine interest in your employees.  What if I used that advice to take a genuine interest in my family and friends.  In other words, what if one spent less time thinking about themselves and more time thinking about others' well being?

So that's what I've been doing, and so far it seems to be working.



1 comment:

  1. I know SAD. I have SAD. Sorta. It SUCKS, but if you know that's what creating issues, it's easier to cope with it. Well, easier than just riding an emotional roller coaster of ups and downs. It took me a while to catch on, but I finally learned that I absolutely MUST get outside in whatever sunlight might be available. It helps. So does knitting outdoors. :-)

    ReplyDelete