If you don't like swear words, skip this post.
I thought twice about writing this on Tailfeathers, because blog ranting is like masturbating in public, but what the hell, there are only a handful of people that read Tailfeathers on purpose.
I made several mistakes:
- I traveled without my favorite cold pills - the ones with pseudoephedrine that really do a good job of drying up a cold sufferer's head.
- I caught a cold on a Friday in Oregon. Oregon requires a person to have a fucking prescription for cold medicine containing effective decongestants.
- I tried an over the counter remedy on Saturday. It didn't work. I was miserable.
- I checked with the neighboring state, Washington, to see if I could just pop over the border and pick up some good pills. No, WA wants a prescription too.
- By Sunday, I was ready to give up and visit a doctor for a prescription. Oops, the only open medical help in the small town of Seaside, OR, on Sunday is the hospital. I was desperate, so I went, and I got a prescription and a piece of their minds about how stupid the legislation is that requires the prescription.
My head dried up and I was able to enjoy the rest of my vacation. I was happy. Then I got the bill... $693 so a doctor could look up my nose and chat about Oregon's political/drug situation. My insurance paid NOTHING because I have a deductible which has not been met.
I sent a check for $100 and suggested the hospital write off the balance. I got a phone call from the hospital. "So sorry, we cannot write off that much, but we can write off $193 if you send us a check for $400 right away." In the end I paid a total $500 for a prescription for cold pills.
So, unless you are dying, I suggest you find ANY other way to get medical help besides going into a hospital emergency room.