Sunday, November 25, 2007

Don't go to an emergency room

If you don't like swear words, skip this post.

I thought twice about writing this on Tailfeathers, because blog ranting is like masturbating in public, but what the hell, there are only a handful of people that read Tailfeathers on purpose.

I made several mistakes:

  1. I traveled without my favorite cold pills - the ones with pseudoephedrine that really do a good job of drying up a cold sufferer's head.
  2. I caught a cold on a Friday in Oregon.  Oregon requires a person to have a fucking prescription for cold medicine containing effective decongestants.
  3. I tried an over the counter remedy on Saturday.  It didn't work.  I was miserable.
  4. I checked with the neighboring state, Washington, to see if I could just pop over the border and pick up some good pills.  No, WA wants a prescription too.
  5. By Sunday, I was ready to give up and visit a doctor for a prescription.  Oops, the only open medical help in the small town of Seaside, OR, on Sunday is the hospital.  I was desperate, so I went, and I got a prescription and a piece of their minds about how stupid the legislation is that requires the prescription.

My head dried up and I was able to enjoy the rest of my vacation.  I was happy.  Then I got the bill... $693 so a doctor could look up my nose and chat about Oregon's political/drug situation.  My insurance paid NOTHING because I have a deductible which has not been met.

I sent a check for $100 and suggested the hospital write off the balance.  I got a phone call from the hospital.  "So sorry, we cannot write off that much, but we can write off $193 if you send us a check for $400 right away."  In the end I paid a total $500 for a prescription for cold pills.

So, unless you are dying, I suggest you find ANY other way to get medical help besides going into a hospital emergency room.



1 comment:

  1. OMG!!!!!
    That really sucks! I am so sorry to hear this. I'm in Portland 2 - 3 times a year these days.
    (Note to self: "always bring my own cold medicine when I visit Portland)

    ReplyDelete