Wednesday, August 15, 2007

ravelry rant

As each day passes more people are joining the ravelry.com knitting community.  When people add projects they link to a pattern or enter a description of their own private pattern.

So, you can search on something like "shrug" or "sweater" and find patterns and see people's project photos, notes and blog entries.  It's great!

But...

When people add photos of there wearable FOs, like sweaters for example, they are adding pictures of the thing lying there, not on a human - during blocking probably.  Or they add a close-up photo which only shows a peek of the thing.  I want to see how the object fits!  I don't care what your makeup looks like, if you are a runway model, or how your hair looks.  I want to see what it looks like on you.  I have a pear shaped body.  I want to look for photos of other pears and see what they are knitting that looks good on their shape.  Now that would be some useful information.  It's the same complaint we have about photos with patterns in magazines.  We should be able to do better.

I tried to add a useful photo of my knitty convertible.  It shows that adding a couple of pattern repeats might not be the smartest thing I ever did - it's a little big on me.  But you wouldn't have known that if I hadn't added a picture of it on my body (messy hair, no makeup, overweight and all).



2 comments:

  1. I'm totally guilty of that. I just uploaded two pictures of old FOs lying flat on a table. I wanted to take a picture of one of them on me, but it looks so terrible on me, I don't think it's worth it. I happen to like the flat pictures, too, because I like to see how pattern details show up in the yarn, and seeing how it fits on someone else doesn't mean a whole lot to me in terms of how it will fit me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to see garments on bodies too. I've been biting the bullet and putting oictures of me in my fo's on my blog. Art shots are great, but I've learned so much about the things I should probably NOT knit from seeing pictures of people in their creations! However, I'm still a long way from my invite to Ravelry so any comments I make here are tinged with a certain amount of jealousy... :)

    ReplyDelete