Monday, June 4, 2007

Yosemite Weekend

20070603 Yosemite Stitched

We took a quick weekend trip to Yosemite Valley National Park.  It's a special, special place.  My trip pictures are here.

Since you have to make reservations to stay at the Yosemite Lodge a year and a day (really! No kidding!) in advance, we stayed outside the park at Cedar Lodge.  The rooms are okay, but don't ever eat at their dinette.

We took the scenic route from Chico to El Portal, through the historic gold mining country.  Lunch was in Mokelumne Hill at the Hotel Leger (le-jay', if you please).  Weather was terrific, so we sat on the balcony.

The next day, J's birthday, we spent the entire day in the park.  First there was a small breakfast in the Yosemite Lodge Cafeteria, then a walk in the valley, then brunch at the Ahwahnee Hotel.  Brunch was terrific, as you would expect from the Ahwahnee.   After lunch we drove up toward Tunnel View, which is a view point where I took the picture in this post.  It was jammed with tour buses and tourists, but I managed to push my way through to the view spot to take my photos.  Then we drove up to Glacier point, from which you can view the entire valley - breathtaking. 

The morning walk included Happy Isle, which neither J nor I had been to before.  It's worth a walk in June - wild azaleas and dogwoods.  In fact the flowers this year were all wonderful.  We even saw some matilla poppies.

It was dryer and warmer than the last time we were there, so walking in the valley was easy.

Life is good.



2 comments:

  1. Ah, thanks for the virtual vacation to Yosemite. Almost felt as if I were there. And your photos - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds like a great trip. All the years I lived in California, and I've never been.

    ReplyDelete