Sunday, February 4, 2007

Belated Happy Birthday

There is a blogger's movement afoot to have a silent poetry reading on Brigid's Day, February 2nd, AKA Groundhog's Day.  I like it that there are events on my birthday!  The silent poetry reading is intriguing.  I'm not a poetry lover; however, there are a couple of poets that I like.  The one that comes to mind today is Richard Brautigan.  Since February also has St. Valentine's Day, I offer this from Brautigan:



Romeo and Juliet



If you will die for me,
I will die for you

and our graves will
be like two lovers washing
their clothes together
in a laundromat.

If you will bring the soap,
I will bring the bleach.



The above is from "ROMMEL DRIVES ON DEEP INTO EGYPT", Richard Brautigan, 1970.



PS:  My birthday was good.  I worked in the library, then J took me out to dinner at a fine restaurant in Chico:  The Red Tavern.  I had some very good butternut squash soup, maybe the best I've every had.  They serve seasonal vegetables, so everything is winter.  For example, no tomatoes, which made J happy.



Now I am another decade older.   There are at most two more decades in my life.  I guess I'd better get busy!






1 comment:

  1. So happy to have Brautigan represented!!! If this is your birthday, you were conceived on or around Beltane....so you may be a little touched by the fey! A fabulous thing, in my opinion!!! I'm amazed at the poetry, amazed at the wonderful people. thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete